Top 10 Best Natural Supplements for Your Thyroid
September 2, 2020
What is the best natural supplement for thyroid?
You may know that the thyroid is a little gland shaped like a butterfly that’s found in the lower part of your neck. It weighs only one ounce and secretes only one teaspoon of thyroid hormone in an entire year. But don’t let its tiny size or productivity fool you. It’s got a big job.
What does the thyroid do?
You need a healthy thyroid because it…
- Drives the metabolic rate of every cell in your body. If it’s sluggish, it’s almost impossible to lose weight.
- Converts oxygen and calories into energy. With a lagging thyroid, you’ll feel zapped.
- Governs everything from energy to appetite, from body temperature to weight, from mood to hair and skin.
- Affects your heart, cholesterol, brain, digestion and muscles – all important for feeling your best.
As you can imagine, even a slightly unbalanced thyroid can lead to serious health issues. But the good news is that there are natural supplements that support a healthy thyroid.
Top 10 best natural supplements for thyroid health
So what is the best natural supplement for thyroid health? Actually, there are several that are beneficial. Here are the top 10 best natural supplements for thyroid health.
- Iodine – Essential for healthy thyroid function, yet with the reduction in salt intake, it’s estimated that millions of Americans are lacking it. Iodine is required for normal thyroid hormone synthesis, function and metabolism.1 Food sources include milk, cheese, poultry, and kelp.
- Panax ginseng extract – Supports healthy T3 and T4 levels already in the normal range and also encourages mental alertness, strength and stamina.
- Schisandra chinensis – Fosters adrenal health and promotes hormonal balance, fosters energy, healthy metabolism and mental performance. Schisandra also combats environmental, physical and mental stress.
- Ashwagandha powder (Withania somnifera) – Works to stimulate thyroidal activity and delivers antioxidants to combat free radicals.
- Selenium – Supports efficient thyroid synthesis and metabolism and promotes healthy skin and hair. Inadequate supply of selenium and iodine alters thyroid hormone metabolism which can create an environment for thyroid issues.2
- Zinc – Essential for healthy thyroid function, hormone levels and metabolism. In addition to selenium, zinc plays a role in the conversion of the thyroid hormone T4 to T3.
- Copper – This mineral combines with certain proteins to help a number of body functions, including energy.
- B-Vitamins – Involved in several processes including thyroid function, hormone regulation, and metabolism of carbohydrates, fats and proteins. In addition, they boost energy, ease stress and fight fatigue.
- L-Tyrosine – This amino acid plays a role in thyroid hormone production and conversion while also helping to boost mental and physical stamina.
- Magnesium – The fourth most abundant mineral in the human body, magnesium is involved in bone and mineral metabolism.
While the above vitamins and minerals may help keep your thyroid healthy, a combination can be even more effective. As always, it’s important to speak with your doctor first before changing your healthcare routine. Find additional information and thyroid supplements on BotanicChoice.com.
This article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute medical advice and should not be relied upon. Before making any changes to your health plan, always seek advice from your doctor about your concerns, risks and benefits.
1. Triggiani V., et.al. Role of iodine, selenium and other micronutrients in thyroid function and disorders. Endcor Metab Imm Disord Drug Targets. 2009 Sep:9(3): 277-94
2. Kohrle J., Selenium and the control of thyroid hormone metabolism. Thyroid. 2005: Aug:15(8):841-53.