Ketogenic Diet: 2 Easy Recipes and Benefits
December 5, 2022
It’s all the rage right now, but what is the ketogenic diet?
The ketogenic diet (or keto diet), is a low-carb, high-fat diet. It’s made up of about 75% fats, 20% protein and 5% carbs. Although it is similar to the Atkins diet and other low-carb diets, its philosophy is different.
A keto diet places your body into a metabolic state called ketosis where your liver produces ketones for energy. When that happens, your body burns fat instead of carbs for fuel. Aside from the obvious weight loss and blood sugar benefits, the keto diet also:
- Lowers inflammation. The keto diet has the potential to lower inflammation, the root cause of many major health issues.
- Fuels your brain. Ketones give your brain an immediate burst of energy helping you to stay alert and focused.
In This Healthy Insight:
What Foods to Eat on the Keto Diet?
If you love meat and fatty foods the keto diet’s for you! Plan your meals around the following foods:
- Meat: steak, sausage, ham, bacon, chicken, turkey
- Fish: salmon, tuna
- Eggs: free-range and/or eggs with omega-3
- Dairy: butter, cream and unprocessed cheese such as cheddar, goat, mozzarella
- Nuts: walnuts, pumpkin seeds, almonds
- Oils: coconut oil, avocado oil
- Vegetables: avocados, green vegetables, tomatoes, peppers
- Seasonings: salt, pepper, herbs, spices
What Foods to Avoid on the Keto Diet?
Don’t sabotage your diet with high carbs or sugary foods! Here are some specific items to avoid:
- High sugar: fruit juice, cake, candy, soda
- Grains: rice, pasta, cereal
- Fruit: avoid all except tiny amounts of berries
- Beans/legumes: peas, lentils, garbanzo
- Root veggies: potatoes, carrots
- Low-fat or sugar-free foods: often processed and loaded with carbs
- Sauces/condiments/fats: ketchups, barbeque, mayonnaise, vegetable oils
- Alcohol: it can throw your ketosis out of whack
Here are a few simple keto recipes to get you started on your diet.
Cheesy Keto Meatballs
- 1 pound ground beef
- ¼ pound of whole mozzarella
- 4 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp fresh pepper
- Virgin olive oil
- Cut the mozzarella into 1 inch cubes
- Mix dry ingredients with beef
- Wrap the mozzarella with the beef mixture
- Pan fry the meatballs in olive oil
Savory Parmesan Wings
- 6 Chicken Wings
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- ½ Tbsp garlic powder
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- ¼ cup grated pecorino romano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix cheeses and spices in a bowl.
- Dip wings in oil.
- Dip wings in mixture.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes.