9 Tips for a Naturally Healthy Smile
July 1, 2020
A clean, fresh mouth gives you confidence to get up close and personal, but did you know your oral health is an indication of your overall health too? As the entry point for digestion, your mouth is loaded with bacteria. Unchecked bacteria can lead to dental decay, bad breath and even cardiovascular issues over time. Protect your oral health with these simple tips.
- Brush at least twice daily – in the morning and before bed. Using a soft-bristled brush, angle the brush towards the gum line and use gentle, circular motions. Don’t forget your tongue. Lightly brush it each time too. Consider an electric toothbrush which is shown to remove more food particles than the traditional type. Whether using an electric or manual, replace the brush every two to three months.
2. Floss daily. Flossing eliminates food particles and gently stimulates gums. Use 12-18 inches of floss, with a fresh section for each tooth. Hold floss tightly against the side of each tooth. If it’s too difficult to manipulate floss thread, try the ready-to-use flossers.
3. Use mouthwash. Mouthwash does more than freshen breath. It also reduces acid in your mouth and cleans hard-to-reach areas around your teeth and gums.
4. Limit sugary drinks. Sugar converts into acid in your mouth which can soften and erode enamel, leaving it vulnerable to decay.
5. Drink water after every meal. This helps to flush out sticky foods and neutralize acids.
6. Select healthy snacks. Ditch sugary treats. When hunger strikes, reach for raw vegetables, apples or pears. Yogurt and certain cheeses, which can add healthy bacteria to your system, are also good options.
7. Stop smoking. Yeah. You’ve heard it before in regard to your health, but smoking is bad for your mouth too. Nicotine and tar yellow your teeth and eat away at your gums. Smoking also creates the perfect environment for bacteria and plaque.
8. Schedule regular dental visits. An estimated 50% of Americans do not see their dentist annually for various reasons. But visiting every 6 months can head off a lot of problems down the road.
9. Try natural oral health care products. There are numerous natural oral health products that freshen breath (from inside and out), whiten teeth and relieve dry mouth. Free of alcohol, fluoride and sugar, so there are no unnecessary chemicals in your system.
Make the investment in your total wellness by taking care of your oral health today!