How to Naturally Increase Energy
October 7, 2021
You know the feeling. It’s 3 o’clock in the afternoon and you can’t keep your eyes open. Fatigue is the new norm. In fact, over 50% of adults claim to be tired most days of the week.
But next time, instead of reaching for your candy bar fix, try some natural energy boosters. A few simple food and lifestyle changes along with energizing vitamins and supplements will put some zip back into your day.
In this Healthy Insight:
Natural Energy Boosters
There’s no need to reach for caffeine or sugar. These natural energy boosters will do the trick.
- Drink plenty of water – You may feel tired simply because you’re slightly dehydrated. A glass of water will help invigorate, especially after exercise.
- Take a nap – A short 10-minute snooze can boost memory, alertness and concentration and not interfere with nighttime sleep.
- Exercise more. It’s the last thing you want to do if you’re tired, but exercise gets your blood flowing and is a natural energy booster with cardiovascular benefits. Next time you’re tired, try a brisk walk and feel energetic enough to tackle your to-do list.
- Get sufficient sleep at night. Did you know only 20-30% of Americans get the recommended 6-8 hours nightly? Practice good sleep hygiene by turning off devices and giving yourself plenty of time to unwind at night.
- Minimize stress. For many of us it’s difficult to shut off thoughts about the day’s events or our plans for tomorrow, but it’s essential for relaxation. Some natural energy boosters may include meditation, journaling, reading or engaging in a quiet, relaxing activity.
Foods to Increase Energy
In addition to eating a healthy diet daily, including a well-balanced breakfast, add these foods to increase energy:
- Fatty fish
- Brown rice
- Cottage cheese
- Greek yogurt
Energy Vitamins and Supplements
Here are some energy-boosting vitamins, minerals and supplements to help you power through the day. You can purchase individually or find them in an energy blend.
- B-Complex, especially B-12 and B-6
- Green Tea Extract
- Green Coffee Extract
- Ginkgo Biloba
You don’t need to suffer from the midday slump. With some food and lifestyle changes you can power through the day without the use of stimulants.