An Alternative to Sluggish Mornings
November 10, 2021
We all know the feeling going through an early, sluggish morning as if you just can’t seem to get a move on. Usually, this is when most people reach for some sort of energy whether it comes from coffee, other caffeinated beverages, a protein shake or a balanced breakfast. There comes a point in the day, typically after lunch, when this sluggishness seems to return and again, we look for that energy boost to get back in the grove. Wouldn’t it be nice to wake up energized and motivated? To be in a better mood and have your brain turn on faster and “work smarter”? Bulletproof coffee has been called “The Toast of Silicon Valley”.
In This Healthy Insight:
This energizing, high-performance recipe calls for:
- 2 ½ tablespoons of high-quality coffee beans
- 1 teaspoon Brain Octane Oil, MCT Oil or coconut oil
- 1-2 tablespoons of grass-fed, unsalted butter
- 8-12 ounces (1 cup) of filtered water
- French press, coffee brewer or pour over method to preserve oils/not filter them out
Brain Octane, Unrefined Coconut Oil, or Organic MCT Oil
Medium Chain Triglycerides are saturated fatty acids (healthy fats) that are easily digested and utilized for their multitude of benefits, especially to the brain.
- Medium chain length triglycerides allow the oil to be immediately used to fuel the body & brain
- Releases hormones that promote the feeling of fullness allowing insulin to lower, forcing the body to burn fat instead of carbs for energy
- Good for cells and cell membranes – integrity, autophagy, cleaning/detox
- MCT Oils are easy to convert to ketones that, with caffeine, cross the blood-brain barrier to fuel the brain, help eliminate “caffeine headaches” and suppress the hunger hormone, ghrelin
Grass-fed unsalted butter. I know what you’re thinking, butter?! Grass-fed butter is what makes this coffee-recipe taste extremely creamy and delicious. The grass-fed part also means there are higher amounts of:
- Omega-3s – exceptionally good for brain cell membranes, maintenance and communication enhancing memory, cognition, mood and stress responses.
- CLA and beta-carotene – beneficial for fat loss, muscle building, cognitive functioning, eye and skin health.
- Vitamin A, D, E, K, antioxidants and nutrients.
- Butyrate – a short-chain fatty acid that helps prevent and decrease inflammation, increase metabolism, improve gut health and curb cravings.
This rich, tasty recipe is supposed to be used as a meal replacement. The body will burn this for immediate energy then turn to fat reserves (ketogenesis) in the absence of carbohydrates or sugar, making it a boost for energy and weight loss.
If you’re looking for extra taste or want to try new recipes look into adding vanilla extract or a scoop of collagen protein powder. Try adding this recipe to chai tea, cocoa or really any hot drink without sugar. For more options to get your healthy lifestyle goals in check, browse our energy boosters and weight loss supplements.