Top 10 Best Natural Herbs for Weight Loss
May 20, 2019
If you want to lose weight and feel slim and trim, the only long-term strategy is to reduce calories and increase exercise. There are several herbs and natural supplements for natural weight loss that could be a nice addition to your efforts. Here are the top 10 best natural herbs for weight loss.
- Gymnema sylvestre – Native to India and Southeast Asia, gymnema sylvestre has been used for centuries in Ayruvedic medicine. Herbalists today prize it for helping to maintain healthy blood sugar levels. Scientists now know that gymnema sylestre contains a compound called gymnemic acid, which can help reduce the perceived sweetness of foods to ward off sugar cravings. In fact, one of its common names, gumar, actually means “sweet destroyer.”
- Cayenne pepper – This zippy spice contains capsaicin which is thought to physically warm you, rev up your metabolism and boost the number of calories you burn throughout the day.
- Dandelion – It’s not just a pesky weed in your lawn. Not only is dandelion a food source, it also has several constituents that act as a digestive aid and help eliminate water retention, so you feel trimmer and less bloated.
- Fenugreek – This common spice soothes and protects your digestive tract from free radicals and may help control appetite and reduce food intake.
- Ginger – From the flowering plant Zingiber officinale, ginger is well-known for soothing tummies after meals as it is thought to decrease fat absorption. Lesser known is its potential to create feelings of fullness and help metabolize food.
- Garcinia cambogia – Native to Southeast Asia, this pumpkin-shaped fruit has a tropical, sweet flavor. In recent years it’s become popular for increasing metabolism and suppressing appetite due to its hydroxycitric acid (HCA) content which is thought to inhibit fatty acid metabolism.
- Cinnamon – From the inner bark of the cinnamomum tree, cinnamon delivers antioxidants for various health benefits and is especially popular for maintaining blood sugar levels, easing gas and encouraging proper digestion. Some herbalists believe it can keep you feeling full longer, so you reduce your intake and calories.
- Turmeric -Prized for its distinct flavor in Indian curries, this bright yellow spice increases body heat. Turmeric contains curcumin, a compound studied for numerous health benefits including inflammation and weight loss.
- Black pepper – Contains a powerful compound called piperine, with potential weight-lowering effects as it works to inhibit the formation of new fat.
- Green coffee bean – Found in many weight loss supplements, green coffee bean is made from beans that haven’t yet been roasted. They are high in chlorogenic acid, which is thought to aid in weight loss, especially belly fat.
While weight loss is best achieved by reducing calories and increasing activity, adding a few of these natural supplements for weight loss may give you an edge to help increase metabolism, curb cravings and burn fat. With any weight loss program, always check with your health care professional before making any changes.