7 Easy Ways to Boost Metabolism
June 21, 2019
We’ve all heard how a faster metabolism can help you lose weight, but is it really possible to rev up a sluggish one? Find out for yourself when you try these fast, easy metabolism boosters.
Metabolism Booster #1 – Spice it up
When you bite into a spicy pepper, you immediately feel the heat. Turns out peppers, which contain capsaicin, affect your entire system, including your metabolism. Peppers are considered thermogenic, especially when consumed regularly. For some, peppers can be difficult to digest, so start by adding just a sprinkle of spice to your meal.
Metabolism Booster #2 – Eat consistently
Your body depends on a steady stream of calories, so eating consistent amounts at the same time keeps metabolism humming along. If you skip meals or fast, your body goes into starvation mode, burning calories more slowly. Aim for small, healthy snacks every 4 hours or so.
Metabolism Booster #3 – Relax and get some rest
Lack of sleep can affect the number of calories you burn and puts you at risk for obesity since it’s related to increased blood sugar levels and insulin resistance. Lack of sleep affects the stress hormone, cortisol, which regulates appetite. It also increases the “hunger” hormone and decreases the “fullness” hormone, so you feel tired, hungry… and fat. Getting at least 7-8 hours of sleep a night helps keep these hormones balanced.
Metabolism Booster #4 – Drink cold water before eating
Drinking lots of water is often cited as a great way to feel full and lose weight, especially if you drink water about 30 minutes before meals. Now research suggests that drinking cold water can benefit weight loss even more since it requires your body to use energy to burn calories as it warms the water to body temperature.
Metabolism Booster #5 – Add a high-intensity workout
A high-intensity interval (HIIT) workout involves repeated, short, intense bursts of activity, followed by lower intensity exercises. For example: 1 minute of running, 2 minutes of walking, 20 seconds of jumping jacks, 1 minute of walking, and so on. HIIT can be more effective at increasing your metabolic rate even after working out and can also help you burn more fat. If you consider a HIIT, add some weights to further increase metabolism and build muscle since muscle mass has a higher metabolic rate than fat.
Metabolism Booster #6 – Drink green tea
Green tea has long been popular for increasing metabolism. It’s commonly found in weight loss supplements since it is thought to be thermogenic. Green tea is also naturally low in calories, making it a great alternative to sugary drinks and ensuring you’re staying hydrated. It’s also loaded with polyphenols, antioxidants to keep you healthy.
Metabolism Booster #7 – Try metabolism-boosting vitamins
The best metabolism-boosting vitamins and minerals include:
- B Vitamins – The 8 B vitamins play a vital role in energy and cellular metabolism. B vitamins can be found in lean meats, dairy products, eggs, nuts and seeds.
- Vitamin D – There is a link between blood sugar, insulin resistance and Vitamin D. You can get Vitamin D from the sun, but since many of us spend a lot of time indoors or use sunscreen, deficiency is all too common.
- Omega-3 fatty acids – Some research suggests that omega-3 fatty acids like those found in salmon, herring and sardines, support weight management. While studies are limited regarding weight loss, there’s enough evidence to know that omega-3 fatty acids are certainly a healthy addition to your day.
- Magnesium – As mentioned above, lack of sleep contributes to weight gain, and that’s where magnesium comes in. It relaxes you and enhances restorative sleep.
- Calcium – We all know calcium’s good for bones, but less familiar it is role in blood sugar management and metabolism. Higher calcium intake, especially when combined with Vitamin D can foster weight loss in individuals with blood sugar concerns. Food sources include milk, yogurt, seeds, and dark green, leafy vegetables.
Be sure to check out these beneficial weight supporting vitamins now.
Long term, the best way to lose weight is to reduce calories and increase exercise. However, for an extra kicker, add some of these easy ways to boost your metabolism. It may give you the edge you need to feel slim and trim again.