Vitamin C Benefits… Take a New Look at an Old Friend!
March 30, 2020
Benefits of Vitamin C
- Combats stress. With the current situation, everyone’s pretty stressed out, which weakens the immune system. Vitamin C is the first nutrient to be depleted by alcohol, smoking or obesity – all lifestyle choices that comfort during times of stress.
- Bolsters immune system. Some studies suggest Vitamin C helps promote production of certain blood cells that protect the body against invaders.
- Heart support. Several studies show Vitamin C helps promote cardiovascular health.
- Smoother skin. Vitamin C is vital for collagen and important for the largest organ in your body, your skin. A study of over 4,000 mature women found that those with higher levels of Vitamin C had fewer wrinkles and less dry skin.
- Enhances the absorption of iron from non-meat sources. This is especially important for vegetarians.
- Overall health and wellness. Since Vitamin C is an antioxidant, it protects cells from harmful free radicals to keep you healthy and strong.
Vitamin C Deficiency
Sources of Vitamin C
Nine servings of fruit and vegetables daily should help you reach 500 mgs. of Vitamin C. Add some of these to your diet.
- Citrus fruits – oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruit
- Sweet potatoes
- Tomato juice
- Green, yellow and red peppers
- Brussels sprouts
- Black currants