Essential Oil Recipes
May 18, 2020
Can’t find cleaning products you like? Concerned about inhaling harmful toxins? There’s a wonderful safe alternative – essential oils. Derived from blossoms, fruits, trees, and grasses, essential oils combat odor, tackle grime and boost laundry naturally.
Essential oils are highly concentrated, so don’t go overboard. With that in mind, here are the top 10 essential oil recipes to safely clean and deodorize your home.
Natural air freshener
Vacuum air freshener
- Soak a small cotton ball with lemon or spearmint oil.
- Allow the vacuum to suck up the cotton ball. Aroma will circulate throughout the room as you vacuum.
- Measure 1 cup of distilled vinegar into a spray bottle.
- Add water until bottle is ¾ full and shake to mix.
- Add 10 drops of lemon, lemongrass or lavender oil and shake.
- Spray onto windows and wipe with a clean cloth.
- Wet a clean washcloth with water.
- Add 10 drops of an essential oil of your choice. Favorites include Bulgarian lavender, orange blossom, tea tree, eucalyptus, patchouly, rose floral, or violet.
- Place inside the dryer and it will scent the entire load. For best results place in dryer at the end of the cycle on “no heat.”
Comb & brush cleaner
- Fill a jar or container with 1 ½ cups of water and- ½ cup white vinegar.
- Add 20 drops of tea tree, lavender or eucalyptus oil.
- Soak combs and brushes for 20 minutes.
- Rinse and air dry.
- Place a few drops of pine or patchouly oil on a cotton ball.
- Place in closet or drawer and enjoy fresh fragrance every time it’s opened.
- Add orange oil to a cotton ball.
- Apply cotton ball to material and launder immediately.
- Dab a few drops of rose geranium oil onto a cotton ball.
- Insert a cotton ball into each shoe.
Because they are so concentrated, always handle essential oils carefully, especially if pregnant. Like any cleaning product or air freshener, keep away from children, pets or open flames. Used appropriately, essential oils can make your living space healthier and safer and make you happier too!