How to Detox Your Body, Naturally
April 8, 2022
Toxic chemicals can be found in many things we come in contact with daily including: pesticides, smog, tap water, cleaning products, fabric softeners, cooking pans, coffee, tobacco, alcohol, food preservatives, cosmetics and other sources. Without realizing it, these can really do a number on your digestive system, colon and ultimately your total health.
In This Healthy Insight:
Consider the following:
- 62 toxic chemicals are found in the average home.
- Each day, the average urban infant ingests 110 nanograms of benzo(a)pyrene, the most toxic hydrocarbon. This is equivalent to smoking three cigarettes a day!
- Out of 2,983 chemicals used in personal care products, 884 were found to be toxic.
- Asbestos was used in wall and ceiling insulation in any home built before 1950 and in insulation for hot water pipes, steam pipes, furnaces and boilers until the 1970s.
- The average American has 5-10 pounds, or 8 meals, of waste material clogging the digestive system/colon and left unchecked, could flow into the bloodstream and other organs such as the liver and kidneys.
Fiber adds necessary bulk to your digestive waste and makes it easier to eliminate unwanted materials.
Avocados are a great source of essential fatty acids that help prevent the absorption and promote the excretion of unhealthy fats.
Broccoli & garlic support antioxidants, such as glutathione, that cleanse the body naturally.
Exercising regularly supports the waste cleaning system, helps flush toxins through sweating and regulates digestion.
Drinking water keeps things moving in your GI tract, helping to eliminate toxins and preventing constipation.
Getting enough sleep gives the digestive system time to rest, repair and rebuild the tissues that are at work most of the day.
Limit alcohol, coffee, cigarettes, stress, sugar and processed foods. These can disrupt digestion or damage the organs involved in the process.
Switch to natural household cleaners, as many cleaning products include toxic chemicals.
Check the ingredients in your cosmetics. Fragrances, parabens and a plethora of chemicals can be found in many cosmetic products.
Supplements to help detox and support healthy digestion
Digestive enzymes help break down and process food for better absorption and elimination.
Apple cider vinegar aids digestive enzymes in breaking down food.
Ginger and fennel help soothe the intestinal tract, reducing gas, bloating and cramping.
Milk thistle helps strengthen the liver, the main detoxifying organ, giving it antioxidant protection and boosting regeneration.
Probiotics help reduce levels of heavy metals, balance your digestive system, cleanse your liver and degrade/flush toxic buildup.
If you’re trying to lighten up your toxic load, try minimizing your exposure to chemicals and detoxify with lifestyle changes and natural alternatives mentioned above. Your mind and body will feel the difference right away.